That funny little tool you've noticed at Cozy's checkout counter is called The Loome, and it's actually quite the multitasker! With a little yarn and The Loome, you can make pompoms, cords, friendship bracelets, and tiny tapestries. There's a great set of video tutorials at The Loome's website, but here's how we used ours to create the pompoms for our window this month:
1. Secure your yarn in one of the notches on the arms. One side of your Loome will make small pompoms and the other makes larger ones.
2. Wrap the yarn around the two adjacent arms until you have a thick and puffy bundle, with about 100 -150 wraps.
3. Cut your yarn, and then cut an additional piece of yarn, about 12-18".
4. Use your cut yarn to tie a tight knot around the center of your bundle, making a bow shape.
5. Slide your bundle off your Loome, and use a sharp pair of scissors to cut through the loops on each side.
6. Your initial pompom will look very scrappy--don't worry!
7. Use your scissors to give your pompom a haircut. Trim it all the way around, at least 1/4" in all directions.
8. You've made a pompom!